Re: where is xmms?

* Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> [2008 Jun 20 08:48 -0500]:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 11:04:52PM +0100, Michal R. Hoffmann wrote:
> > On 19/06/08 22:34, Mark Allums wrote:
> >> Ivan Glushkov wrote:
> >>  > Hi all,
> >>  > I have a sid x64 installed. I am wandering why there is no possibility
> >>  > to install xmms?
> >>  >

> >> If I understand correctly, xmms is no longer considered stable or
> >> reliable; it has no maintainer, and has been abandoned by the upstream
> >> maintainer.  So, people using it need to transition to something else.
> >> I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
> >
> > I would recommend Audacious. Previously I used winamp on Windows and
> > xmms on Linux. Audacious is very similar in 'feel', very sleek and does
> > the job. Plays mp3, mpc, ogg, flac, possibly many more :) Install
> > plugins package as well.

Since I had gotten used to XMMS over the years and then BMP, Audacious
fills my needs very well.  My favorite skins are compatible and it just
seems to keep improving.  It's miles ahead of where XMMS was at the end
of its run.  For those of us who just want a graphical music player
without the overhead of a server or jukebox, etc., it's great to have an
excellent piece of software keep improving.

- Nate >>