Re: (Mishap?) upgrading from Woody to Etch

Sven Joachim on 20/06/08 15:06, wrote:
On 2008-06-20 15:58 +0200, Adam Hardy wrote:

Those upgrade instructions warn:

"Important! You should not upgrade using telnet, rlogin, rsh, or from
an X session managed by xdm, gdm or kdm etc on the machine you are
upgrading. That is because each of those services may well be
terminated during the upgrade, which can result in an inaccessible
system that is only half-upgraded."

Do you think ssh is deliberately excluded from that list of remote shells?

Yes, see the same section:

,----
| The distribution upgrade should be done either locally from a textmode
| virtual console (or a directly connected serial terminal), or remotely
| via an ssh link.
| | In order to gain extra safety margin when upgrading remotely, we suggest
| that you run upgrade processes in the virtual console provided by the
| screen program, which enables safe reconnection and ensures the upgrade
| process is not interrupted even if the remote connection process fails.
`----

What's the 'virtual console provided by the screen program'? Some sort of bolt-on to ssh?