Re: where is xmms?

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 11:04:52PM +0100, Michal R. Hoffmann wrote:
> On 19/06/08 22:34, Mark Allums wrote:
>> Ivan Glushkov wrote:
>>  > Hi all,
>>  > I have a sid x64 installed. I am wandering why there is no possibility
>>  > to install xmms?
>>  >

>> If I understand correctly, xmms is no longer considered stable or
>> reliable; it has no maintainer, and has been abandoned by the upstream
>> maintainer.  So, people using it need to transition to something else.
>> I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
>
> I would recommend Audacious. Previously I used winamp on Windows and
> xmms on Linux. Audacious is very similar in 'feel', very sleek and does
> the job. Plays mp3, mpc, ogg, flac, possibly many more :) Install
> plugins package as well.

just to jump in... I recommend mpd with some kind of front end. I find
it just the thing: small, and out of the way. It's just a music player
daemon (hence the name). You can control it with a number of different
cli and graphical front ends. I like mpc, a cli frontend. You issue
commands like `mpc play` or `mpc next` etc. Makes it easy to script or
bind to WM keys.

.02