Re: Iceweasel 3 and gopher?

On Saturday 14 June 2008 12:43, Peter Tynan wrote:

> Just to summarise the problems - Iceweasel (and FireFox) is the only
> "integrated"  GUI gopher browser, most other gopher browsers just show
> the gopher menu tree and in some cases plain text documents with
> Iceweasel I can view images, html documents, flash files, sound files
> etc (assuming I have the appropriate plug-in) where as other gopher
> browsers would have to open another application, also other GUI gopher
> browsers have suffered from a lack of development in recent years
> (mainly (IMHO) because Iceweasel/FireFox did the job so well) which
> means they can look quite dated and lack a certain user friendliness
> (as far as I know the console gopher client -is the only dedicated
> gopher client still under active development).

  I was looking for gopher sites to try out in response to this,
and ran into this, which may be of interest:

<http://www.tekeeze.com/fun-sites/7-fun-sites-you-can-only-find-on-the-gopher-internet>

  Evidently the gopher-internet is not at all dead.

  A little googling reveals that there's a kio tool for konqueror
that's supposed to do "gopher", it might be worthwhile to file
a feature-request on the KDE bug tracker for this.

				-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net