Re: Iceweasel 3 and gopher?

2008/6/14 Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com>:
> On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 04:42:08PM +0100, Peter Tynan wrote:
>>
>> Iceweasel  (and FireFox) prior to version 3 despite a few bugs were
>> the most convenient GUI gopher browser available and the loss of
>> gopher support would be a big blow for gopher users.
>
> that would be a problem.

Just to summarise the problems - Iceweasel (and FireFox) is the only
"integrated"  GUI gopher browser, most other gopher browsers just show
the gopher menu tree and in some cases plain text documents with
Iceweasel I can view images, html documents, flash files, sound files
etc (assuming I have the appropriate plug-in) where as other gopher
browsers would have to open another application, also other GUI gopher
browsers have suffered from a lack of development in recent years
(mainly (IMHO) because Iceweasel/FireFox did the job so well) which
means they can look quite dated and lack a certain user friendliness
(as far as I know the console gopher client -is the only dedicated
gopher client still under active development).

Peter