Re: Iceweasel 3 and gopher?

2008/6/14 Andrew Reid <reidac@bellatlantic.net>:

>  Evidently the gopher-internet is not at all dead.

It's alive a kicking with active development of several gopher servers
(including pygopherd in the Debian repositories), on the client side
there is the console client under active development and as previously
mentioned by Tzafrir Cohen there is the Overbite project which has
along term aim of providing a cross platform GUI gopher browser using
Adobe's AIR platform but which after the Mozilla people brought
forward the planned pulling of gopher support for FireFox from FireFox
4 to version 3 has been on a short term work frenzy to put together a
gopher plug-in for FireFox. I've not mentioned the Overbite project
before now as I promised Cameron Kaiser that I would keep quiet until
the official launch on June 18th and I'm still reluctant to talk about
it even though some else has already posted about it here, suffice to
say that it is a big improvement over the standard gopher rendering
engine in FireFox/Iceweasel 2 - in that it looks prettier and fixes
the bug which prevents FireFox/Iceweasel showing gopher sites that are
not on port 70 and that if if gopher support is to be retained in the
core of Iceweasel 3 the overbite engine is probably the one they
should use.

NB: There is a gopher search engine over at floodgap
gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/ and for the gopher challenged
http://gopher.floodgap.com/gopher/gw