Re: Linux doesn't like DVD+R disks?

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:02:38AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 06/12/08 07:20, Bob Cox wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 21:11:15 -0500, Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net) wrote:
> >
> >> I'm trying to burn an ISO to a dual-layer DVD+R disk, but these
> >> programs instantly error out.  growisofs successfully burns the
> >> disk, but mplayer and vlc can't read them.
> >>
> >> Single-layer DVD-R disks work perfectly.
> >>
> >> Am I missing something simple?
> >
> > I know it is of no direct help to you, but I have successfully burned
> > several DVD+R DL disks using K3b.  It 'just worked' without any fiddling
> > or anything.  I also successfully use DVD-R single layer and DVD+RW single layer
> > disks.
>
> k3b uses wodim, just like Brasero.
>
> When I insert a DVD-R SL, GNOME (really, whatever GNOME talks to)
> recognizes that a valid disk has been inserted, and takes the
> appropriate action.  With DVD+R DL, nothing.
>
> > The drive is a Pioneer DVR-115D and the disks I have been using are
> > branded 'Zerodefex'.  The disks are read fine by Kaffeine and Movie
> > Player as well as a domestic standalone DVD player.
>
> Mine is an ASUS DRW-1814BLT, and the disks (both DVD-R SL and DVD+R
> DL) are Memorex.

sorry, I've not read the thread, but this drive only supports up to 4x
burning for DL, in case that helps.

> > To answer your question, it seems Linux really does like DVD+R disks
> > after all.
>
> I'm using a hand-rolled kernel.  Maybe I need some option?  Maybe
> the burner's firmware need upgrading?

It's definitely worth booting into a stock kernel just in case.

My memory of trying to burn DL disks is that it was spotty on this
Sony drive. And everything I've read suggests that it can often be a
combination of media and drive... try different brands of media.

I know, that's not really helpful.