Re: Linux doesn't like DVD+R disks?

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 08:17:06 -0700, Andrew Sackville-West (andrew@farwestbilliards.com) wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:02:38AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> > > I know it is of no direct help to you, but I have successfully burned
> > > several DVD+R DL disks using K3b.  It 'just worked' without any fiddling
> > > or anything.  I also successfully use DVD-R single layer and DVD+RW single layer
> > > disks.
> >
> > k3b uses wodim, just like Brasero.

I must admit I have few problems with K3b, other than sometimes it tries
to write to old, cheap 4x or 8x DVDs at 16x resulting in some failures,
so I always manually set the speed.

> > When I insert a DVD-R SL, GNOME (really, whatever GNOME talks to)
> > recognizes that a valid disk has been inserted, and takes the
> > appropriate action.  With DVD+R DL, nothing.
> >
> > > The drive is a Pioneer DVR-115D and the disks I have been using are
> > > branded 'Zerodefex'.  The disks are read fine by Kaffeine and Movie
> > > Player as well as a domestic standalone DVD player.
> >
> > Mine is an ASUS DRW-1814BLT, and the disks (both DVD-R SL and DVD+R
> > DL) are Memorex.
>
> sorry, I've not read the thread, but this drive only supports up to 4x
> burning for DL, in case that helps.

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1488&l1=6&l2=35&l3=0&l4=0
says that it will do 8x with DL on both +R and -R disks.

In fact, it looks like quite an impressive drive.

> > > To answer your question, it seems Linux really does like DVD+R disks
> > > after all.
> >
> > I'm using a hand-rolled kernel.  Maybe I need some option?  Maybe
> > the burner's firmware need upgrading?
>
> It's definitely worth booting into a stock kernel just in case.
>
> My memory of trying to burn DL disks is that it was spotty on this
> Sony drive. And everything I've read suggests that it can often be a
> combination of media and drive... try different brands of media.
>
> I know, that's not really helpful.

Trying different media is probably a good idea, but expensive if you
need to experiment.  Maybe just buy one or two of each before getting a
spindle of 25 or 50 ;-)

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.