Re: [SOLVED] Re: Problems with Gnome appearance.

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 08:25:35AM +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 20:17:54 -0700
> Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Andrew,
>
> > What keyserver are you using Brad? I typically use mit, but the lag
>
> hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
>
> > days because it takes too long. I finally just now waited it
> > out... about 45 seconds (okay, I guess I'm just impatient, but
> > still...) and got it.
>
> I'd tried several times, well, Claws-Mail/GPG did.  They're set up here
> to grab keys that aren't available locally.  The apparent
> non-availability of Frank's key meant that CM became unusable during
> the search period which was anything up to 60 seconds.  As this
> occurred several times, I assumed Frank hadn't uploaded his key, hence
> my "complaint".

I use mutt, and it invokes gpg which tries to grab keys it doesn't
already have with the same symptom... up to about 60 seconds of
waiting. What I don't know is what's happening during that wait. Is it
a matter of gpg not being able to contact the servers or do the
servers take that long to run the query. It seems to run in waves
too. There'll be a days where everything is fine and even looking up
new keys takes only a few seconds and then other days every new key
will time out. I get a little to quick on the ctrl-c sometimes as a
result...