Re: wireless-tools not working.

On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 16:41:01 +1000
Tony R Quilkey <trq@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Sorry Celejar, I'm just getting used to this mail list idea as well.
>
> Celejar wrote:
> > On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 12:28:09 +1000
> > Tony R Quilkey <trq@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> >> The following output is when I've started the machine without the script
> >> in /etc/rc.local.

[no wifi association]

> > OK, apparently your wifi card isn't properly
associating with the AP.

> >> Note, If I restart the machine after placing my script in /etc/rc.local
> >> this is the outcome.

[correct wifi association]

> > Now it is.
> >
> > We need to figure out why the association isn't happening without your
> > custom commands. Try (without your custom stuff) 'ifup wlan0 --force' to
> > force the system to retry the configuration, and then re-run iwconfig
> > to see if the association works.
>
> Ok, were getting somewhere.
>
> ~ # sudo ifup wlan0 --force
> SIOCADDRT: File exists

[followed by correct wifi association]

> This brings the card up and it
is now working. The question now is why
> won't this happen on boot?

Just a shot in the dark, but some wlan drivers won't accept
configuration instructions while the interface is administratively
down.  Perhaps try inserting a line like 'pre-up ifconfig $IFACE up' as
the first line of the relevant /etc/network/interfaces stanza?

> Thanks again,
> Tony.

Celejar