Re: wireless-tools not working.

On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 12:28:09 +1000
Tony R Quilkey <trq@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> The following output is when I've started the machine without the script
> in /etc/rc.local.

> ~ # sudo iwconfig wlan0
> wlan0     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:""
>            Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point:
> Not-Associated
>            Tx-Power=27 dBm
>            Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2346 B
>            Encryption key:off
>            Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
>            Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>            Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

OK, apparently your wifi card isn't properly associating with the AP.

> Note, If I restart the machine after placing my script in /etc/rc.local
> this is the outcome.

> ~ # sudo iwconfig wlan0
> wlan0     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"TSP"
>            Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point:
> 00:1C:F0:3A:F2:DC
>            Bit Rate=1 Mb/s   Tx-Power=27 dBm
>            Retry limit:24   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2346 B
>            Encryption key:AC45-FE23-ED3E-DF51-A78C-DE45-F3
>            Link Quality=29/100  Signal level=-64 dBm
>            Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>            Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

Now it is.

We need to figure out why the association isn't happening without your
custom commands. Try (without your custom stuff) 'ifup wlan0 --force' to
force the system to retry the configuration, and then re-run iwconfig
to see if the association works.

> Thanks,
> Tony.

Celejar