Etch won't load after eight attempts

	On 26 March 2008 I purchased a computer with an Intel dual core CPU and
a SATA hard drive.  Since then I have off and on spent in the aggregate
77.94 hours trying to install and configure Etch on it using the third
revision of net-install disk.

	I have so far made eight attempts  to get a working system using the
Debian installer.  Each time something happened to make the installation
unusable, and I could not find any way to fix each problem without
starting the installation all over again.

	What happened earlier today is more or less typical of the what I have
been up against.  I was able to complete the eighth installation with
the xfs file system and KDE.  On the recommendation of the installer I
used the LILO boot loader instead of GRUB.

	One of the first things I did by way of configuration today was to run
aptitude update and then to run aptitude upgrade.  On of the packages to
be upgraded was the kernel (2.6.18-6-686).  As part of the configuration
of this package by aptitude, I was told that this was the same kernel
already installed and that consequently I would have to reboot as soon
as the upgrade was finished.

	I did so, but the reboot ended when the machine hung after returning
the following the following message:

"LILO 22.6.1  Loading EBDA is big; kernel setup stack overlaps LILO
second stage"

What does this message mean?  What if anything can I do to get the
machine working again?  (Subsquent boots returned the same message after
booting?)

Or is my only option to attempt a ninth installation and hope for the best?

		Ken Heard