Re: wireless-tools not working.

Sorry Celejar, I'm just getting used to this mail list idea as well.

Celejar wrote:
On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 12:28:09 +1000
Tony R Quilkey <trq@iinet.net.au> wrote:

The following output is when I've started the machine without the script in /etc/rc.local.

~ # sudo iwconfig wlan0
wlan0     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:""
           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point:
Not-Associated
           Tx-Power=27 dBm
           Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2346 B
           Encryption key:off
           Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

OK, apparently your wifi card isn't properly associating with the AP.

Note, If I restart the machine after placing my script in /etc/rc.local this is the outcome.

~ # sudo iwconfig wlan0
wlan0     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"TSP"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:1C:F0:3A:F2:DC
           Bit Rate=1 Mb/s   Tx-Power=27 dBm
           Retry limit:24   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2346 B
           Encryption key:AC45-FE23-ED3E-DF51-A78C-DE45-F3
           Link Quality=29/100  Signal level=-64 dBm

Now it is.

We need to figure out why the association isn't happening without your
custom commands. Try (without your custom stuff) 'ifup wlan0 --force' to
force the system to retry the configuration, and then re-run iwconfig
to see if the association works.

Ok, were getting somewhere.

~ # sudo ifup wlan0 --force
SIOCADDRT: File exists

~ # s iwconfig wlan0
wlan0     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"TSP"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:1C:F0:3A:F2:DC
          Bit Rate=5.5 Mb/s   Tx-Power=27 dBm
          Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2346 B
          Encryption key:AC45-FE23-ED3E-DF51-A78C-DE45-F3
          Link Quality=29/100  Signal level=-64 dBm

This brings the card up and it is now working. The question now is why won't this happen on boot?

Thanks again,
Tony.