Re: How to complain about slow ISP? Checked in mtr

2008/5/30 Mike Bird <mgb-debian@yosemite.net>:
> If an mtr or traceroute or tracepath, after a sufficient number of
> iterations, looks like this:
>
>  HOP1   20% packet loss
>  HOP2   30% packet loss
>  HOP3    2% packet loss
>
> - it means that 98-100% of packets are getting to HOP3 and back,
> which means that the packet loss at the earlier hops is probably
> due to high CPU loads or ICMP rate limiting rather than fundamental
> loss of packets in transit.  (But there could be more esoteric
> causes such as errors in diverse return routes.)

Hmmm, thanks.

> If you're sending N test packets per second you may be running afoul
> of an ISP's anti-DOS-attack filters.  By comparing those results with
> results obtained at N/10 test packets per second, you can determine
> whether this is a likely explanation.

Makes sense.

>> Is there a resource that you could recommend that I read to learn to
>> be more proficient with mtr? Written for silly end-users like me?
>
> Sorry, I don't know of one.  "mtr" is a tool.  A rough analogy would
> be me asking for instructions on how to use a screwdriver when my
> car is broken.  I would need to understand how the car's systems
> work in order to understand how to find out what is wrong and how to
> fix it.

A car analogy! +5 Insightful!

> There are lots of good introductory networking courses available.
> I recommend Cisco's CCNA but you might find others more to your taste.
> I won't pretend that CCNA (or even CCNP) will explain the full
> implications of "mtr" output, but they'll give you enough background
> that you will then be able to understand the implications.

I don't intend to take a course, but the local LUG has been asking
about what topics are of interest today. I will let them know that mtr
and basic networking are interesting. Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il