Re: How to complain about slow ISP? Checked in mtr

On Fri May 30 2008 07:24:16 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> My internet connection keeps timing out. I check my connection to
> google with mtr and this is what I got:
> http://dotancohen.com/images/examples/bezeq.png
>
> The ISP's name is Bezeq International, so the host bezeqint is
> obviously them. Now that _I_ see that the packet loss is at their end,
> what terms do I use to complain? I am not a CS major so I don't know
> the proper terminology to describe to the script-reading monkey that
> will answer the phone that she needs to get an engineer to fix it at
> their end, because the problem is obviously there and not here. Is
> there anything else that I should check before I complain?

I would tell them that your internet connection keeps timing
out.  On the wide open internet backbone tools such as mtr,
ping, tracepath, and traceroute are useful, but consumer DSL
is often filtered (perhaps to reduce DOS attacks) so that
such tools are often hard to interpret.

It's your ISP's job to find out why the connection is timing
out.  If they can't or won't, trying to explain "mtr" to them
isn't going to help.  (BTW, your "mtr" was bad but not awful
because of the "2.3%" line.)

If you really have to use "mtr", first of all compare a regular
"mtr" with a "mtr -i 10" to see if DOS attacks (and "mtr") are
being filtered.

--Mike Bird