HotSwapping Disks

I have a server with hot swap disks.

I'd like to be able to swap out a non-system disk , eg  /dev/sdd  and put in a new
 disk, partition it in fdisk, then mount those partitions. This all works fine, I can partition it,
 but the linux kernel hangs on to the old disk partitions in memory, so I can't mke2fs or
mount the newly created partitions, without doing a reboot.

Is there a way to force the kernel re-read the partition tables on a non-system disk?
How do people maintain high uptime, if you need to reboot every time just to see an extra
disk in a hot swap system?

Paul