Re: dot in folder name in Courier or Dovecot

Yes, I defined '/' as separator in the namespace with Dovecot. I'm able to create folders that contain dots in their name, and they get messed up in Thunderbird, as Ron confirms.

With Cyrus, I can create folders with subfolders with dots in their name correctly. That also works with Thunderbird. So, it looks like it's not Thunderbird's fault.

The problem with Cyrus is that Cyrus refuses to accept a large number of emails that it considers to be not "standard compliant". E.g. it rejects specific "From"-headers that Mozilla is using. Even though this applies to only 1% of all email, it is still an enormous number of them.

On the web, it is suggested to use a sed-script to remove these offending headers from the mbox files before copying them to Cyrus. However, Mozilla's own index files (.msf) get confused if the underlying mbox files change, and some emails just disappear. (There are also emails disappearing if the .msf file is deleted).

BTW, mbox/Dovecot does not support hierarchical folders.