Re: Asus A6000 VM laptop - bad hardware support under Linux-

joel boujassy wrote:
I have a Asus A6000 VM and I get no sound with my minijack audio output (I've tryed everything possible !) .
The problem remains the same no mather the sound manager ALSA or OSS !   The problem remains the same no mather the  Linux distribution I tryed , here is the list :
Debian - Ubuntu - Suse - Sabayon - Mandriva - Slakeware - Fedora ...
Yeah ! I've tryed them all !!!
If I want sound I just have to satisfy the crappy built-in  speaker ... Shamefull  !
I think the problem is in the ALSA 's (and OSS) drivers because I have the same problems with all the distribution I tryed .
Another problem is the built-in webcam doesn't work because the drivers just don't exist !!!
Now what do I have to do ?  I feel mad after all the time I've been loosing !!!
What can I do with an operating system that cannot allow me to use 100 % of my machine ?!
Don't you think it's bad engeneering to provide an operating system without a good driver support ?

It seems you're sufficiently technology-literate to realize that you're fussing at the wrong people. Blame the hardware manufacturers; they're the ones who won't provide the drivers/information.

Apple and Microsoft would be in the exact same boat if the hardware manufacturers refused to work with those companies the way they refuse to work with the open-source community.

The reason so much hardware works outside of the Mac/Windows world is because of dedicated programmers who stay up past 4AM, in their "free time", neglecting work, neglecting wife and kids, neglecting mowing the lawn, in order to reverse-engineer hardware specs that would cost almost nothing for the hardware manufacturers to provide.

I can assure you, when you rant and rave at those programmers who do so much with so little in order to benefit the community, they are definitely "not feeling the love".

Having said that, if you're getting sound out of your internal speakers, I suspect the problem may lie in something simpler, such as a mixer problem. You say you've "tryed everything possible", but I have to ask if you've fired up alsamixer and adjusted those settings? (I also assume your user is in the audio group, since you indicate that some sound works.)

Concerning the webcam, I have no ideas. Sorry.

--
Kent West