Re: Asus A6000 VM laptop - bad hardware support under Linux-

joel boujassy wrote:
| Hi there  !
| As a new Linux user I must report you the big problems I had when I got
| rid of Windows and turn myself to Linux ...
| The only trouble with Linux is a bad or erratic hardware support ; in
| particular with laptops ... Like mine !
| I have a Asus A6000 VM and I get no sound with my minijack audio output
| (I've tryed everything possible !) .
| The problem remains the same no mather the sound manager ALSA or OSS !
| The problem remains the same no mather the  Linux distribution I tryed ,
| here is the list :
| Debian - Ubuntu - Suse - Sabayon - Mandriva - Slakeware - Fedora ...
| Yeah ! I've tryed them all !!!
| If I want sound I just have to satisfy the crappy built-in  speaker ...
| Shamefull  !
| I think the problem is in the ALSA 's (and OSS) drivers because I have
| the same problems with all the distribution I tryed .
| Another problem is the built-in webcam doesn't work because the drivers
| just don't exist !!!
| Now what do I have to do ?  I feel mad after all the time I've been
| loosing !!!
| What can I do with an operating system that cannot allow me to use 100 %
| of my machine ?!
| Don't you think it's bad engeneering to provide an operating system
| without a good driver support ?
| Linux will never be a reliable alternative to this Windows crap if the
| hardware isn't fully supported .
| The Asus A6 laptop serie is a very very  common material  , nothing
| exotic , just one of the most sold serie of  laptops !
| So what's going on with ALSA project and other Linux team of developers ?!
| I'm just a Linux noob OK but  I can't make myself up something that
| doesn't exist : Drivers and EFFICIENT HARDWARE SUPPORT  INCLUDED IN THE
| OS !

FYI.

generally rants such as the one above are ignored.

But....since you say you are new to linux, and this mailing list......if
one were to ask for help in another post with information pertaining to
what exactly is wrong, and what they have done to remedy the problem,
someone may step up to the plate.  hint..... lspci is a good way to start.

good luck

- --
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com