Re: Asus A6000 VM laptop - bad hardware support under Linux-

On 05/26/08 17:09, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 03:37:02PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On 05/26/08 15:10, joel boujassy wrote:
>>> Hi there  !
>>> As a new Linux user I must report you the big problems I had when I got
>>> rid of Windows and turn myself to Linux ...
>> [snip]
>>> What can I do with an operating system that cannot allow me to use 100 %
>>> of my machine ?!
>>> Don't you think it's bad engeneering to provide an operating system
>>> without a good driver support ?
>>> Linux will never be a reliable alternative to this Windows crap if the
>>> hardware isn't fully supported .
>>> The Asus A6 laptop serie is a very very  common material  , nothing
>>> exotic , just one of the most sold serie of  laptops !
>>> So what's going on with ALSA project and other Linux team of developers ?!
>>> I'm just a Linux noob OK but  I can't make myself up something that
>>> doesn't exist : Drivers and EFFICIENT HARDWARE SUPPORT  INCLUDED IN THE
>>> OS !
>>> I'm trying desperatly to find sombody in the Linux world
>>> Thanks for reading ;
>>> Thanks for helping .
>> Steve Ballmer, it's not polite to pretend you're French.
>

> heh heh... duck!
>
> seriously to the OP, you should provide as much information as you can
> about what you are doing. Note please that laptop support is arguably
> the weakest part of linux hardware support. Large chunks of laptop
> hardware a very proprietary...
>
> that said, as Steve has mentioned, provide us with the output of
>
> lspci -v
>
> as a starting point. Also, please tell us specifically which version
> of debian you are using.
>
> This list hosts a whole slew of very knowledgeable people who will
> help those who help themselves...

Getting the latest Knoppix LiveCD and testing your hardware on it
should be any newbie's first step.

But that doesn't answer the question as to whether a rank newbie
*should* try to install and manage *any* operating system at all.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

ESPN makes baseball players better.