Re: Debian secure by default?

Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> Paul Johnson wrote:

>>> Internal threats? A compromised host? Lazy sysadmins? Ignorant users?
>>> How would your perimeter security help there?
>>>

>> You can't solve social problems with technological means
>> effectively.  Odds are, if they're on your internal network and you
>> consider them a security threat, you have deeper security problems
>> than can't be solved short of door locks and ensuring nobody outside
>> can get a connection.
>>

> I hate to say this, but the most threats are in fact internal.
> Employees running amok.  You have to defense against that in a a
> business environment.

This is the age-old problem of relying on people that are unreliable.
One of the basic solutions to this is explained in agent theory, simply
states the goal is to align your business' goals with those of your
employees.  Easier said than done unfortunately.

/M

magnus@therning.org             Jabber: magnus.therning@gmail.com
http://therning.org/magnus

What if I don't want to obey the laws? Do they throw me in jail with
the other bad monads?
     -- Daveman