Re: Assumed bug in Debian Sid: monitor cannot be reconfigured with dpkg-reconfigure

Florian Kulzer wrote :
On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 17:20:05 +0200, s. keeling wrote:
Uwe Bugla wrote:
 I am running the latest Debian Lenny / Sid combination and wanted
Lenny is testing.  Sid is unstable.  There is no "Lenny / Sid", except
of your making.

He is probably simply quoting what he sees at every VT login prompt:
"Debian GNU/Linux lenny/sid". There is no need to bark at him like that.

 to adjust a workstation to another monitor.

 Traditionallly that works by the following command:
 dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg.

If I run that command, the script ends up with the question whether to emulate a 3-button mouse or not.

 Can someone reading this reproduce this bug?
Why do you consider this a bug?  You're reconfiguring the X server and
the mouse is part of that.  Do you have a three-button mouse?  If so,
say no to the emulation.

As he says quite clearly, he can no longer choose the monitor resolution
like he used to, because the configuration dialog now stops after the
mouse questions. There is no need to bark at him like that.

 Can you please fix it?
It's not broken.

That remains to be seen. If the dialog is gone now and Xorg cannot
figure things out on its own then this may well qualify as a bug. In any
case, he has a Debian-related problem and he asked for help on the
debian-user list. There is no need to bark at him like that.
He isn't an isolated case, go have a look at forums.debian.net or linuxquestions.org in the Debian section to mention just a few, you will see that the supposed "automagic" function shipped with xorg just isn't working in numerous cases (I count among them). Reminds me of the Mac a bit, where the magic is supposed to happen behind the scene, but when it doesn't...

Sorry I don't have a cure for the initial problem, aside from editing the xorg.conf manually, or using something like "KXGenerator" to help you in the process.