apt/dselect anomaly

I usually keep current with the Debian archive using apt-get. Sometimes, however, I install programs using dselect.

After upgrading to the latest Debian archive using apt-get update/upgrade,
I got the following message while running dselect:

  openssh-client openssh-server

It happened on two different similarly configured machines.

I'm pretty sure this has never happened to me before. I have always thought that upgrading using either apt-get or dselect (using the apt method) were equivalent, at least with respect to staying current with the archive.

Am I missing something major?  Thanks for any illumination.