Re: Assumed bug in Debian Sid: monitor cannot be reconfigured with dpkg-reconfigure

Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es>:
>  On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 17:20:05 +0200, s. keeling wrote:
> > Uwe Bugla wrote:
> > >
> > >  I am running the latest Debian Lenny / Sid combination and wanted
> >
> > Lenny is testing.  Sid is unstable.  There is no "Lenny / Sid", except
> > of your making.
>
>  He is probably simply quoting what he sees at every VT login prompt:
>  "Debian GNU/Linux lenny/sid". There is no need to bark at him like that.

Why are you imagining all these exclamation points you're seeing?
They're not in my post.  I wasn't "barking."

I don't run either lenny or sid.  Are their prompts broken?

To the OP:  uname -a ; cat /etc/debian_version

> > >  If I run that command, the script ends up with the question whether to emulate
> > >  a 3-button mouse or not.
> > >
> > >  Can someone reading this reproduce this bug?
> >
> > Why do you consider this a bug?  You're reconfiguring the X server and
> > the mouse is part of that.  Do you have a three-button mouse?  If so,
> > say no to the emulation.
>
>  As he says quite clearly, he can no longer choose the monitor resolution
>  like he used to, because the configuration dialog now stops after the
>  mouse questions. There is no need to bark at him like that.

He does not say that clearly, at all.  Stops?  Where did he say that?
He says he's presented with a question regarding his mouse, which he
appears to consider tangential to the problem, and that's where *he*
stops.  I was telling him his mouse is integral to congiguring X, and
to continue by providing the information it wants.

> > >  Can you please fix it?
> >
> > It's not broken.
>
>  That remains to be seen. If the dialog is gone now and Xorg cannot
>  figure things out on its own then this may well qualify as a bug. In any
>  case, he has a Debian-related problem and he asked for help on the
>  debian-user list. There is no need to bark at him like that.

Woof.  You, I'm barking at.  I've been asked that question everytime I
dpkg-reconfigure for more than a decade.  If he's never been through
an install before, I'd expect his confusion.  I assumed from his post
that he's not an ultra-noob.