Re: [OT] C++ programming: keeping count of data items read from file

On 08/05/2008, s. keeling <keeling@nucleus.com> wrote:
> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>:
>

>  >  On 05/06/08 13:25, H.S. wrote:
>  > > Ron Johnson wrote:
>  > >>
>  > >> Is this a binary file or a text file?
>  > >
>  > > hmm. Text. I made it clear in the original post.
>  >
>  >  Sorry.  It just seems (to an old C programmer) that this is pretty
>  >  simple problem, unless there's some tricky detail that you aren't
>  >  telling us.
>

> That's exactly what I was thinking looking at the problem.  No offence
>  meant to the OP, but this sounds like a trivial problem for perl.  We
>  must be missing something.

Perl is an interpreted language. This makes it unsuitable for serious
number crunching.

Don't get me wrong. Octave and SciPy are interpreted languages and ok
for testing out ideas or profiling, but once push gets to shove,
you're going to want a compiled language with the best possible
efficiency, and only C++ seems like a reasonable modern alternative.
Fortran is still favoured amongst the numerical community for similar
reasons.

- Jordi G. H.