C++ programming: keeping count of data items read from file

Hello,

In a C++ program I am reading a data file for later processing and computations. While reading that data file, I want to keep track of data items (doubles) read.

The data file is just a text file with N lines with C doubles in each line (N and C are known a priori). For now, I just read from the file stream in to a 2D array variable by reading each double at a time.

Now I am trying to introduce some sanity checking into this reading block. Here is what I am trying to do: 1. Verify how many doubles I have read in each line. Must be C. If they are not C, then the input file is corrupt. 2. Verify that the total number of data items are NxC. This is simple, I just keep a track of how many numbers I have read.

So, how do I go about doing (1) above? I was thinking of somehow checking if I have reached the end of line somehow (EOL?) but haven't found a method to do so. All I have found is EOF.

thanks,
->HS