Re: [Kind of OT] Why's this look like gibberish to me?

On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 12:12:46AM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 12:01:05AM +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > 2008/5/5 Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>:
> > > $ mutt -v
> > > Mutt 1.5.17 (2007-11-01)
> >
> > Ah, Mutt is known not to work with Hebrew. There is a workaround, and
> > I have it buried in my notes somewhere if you really need it. But
> > unless you communicate in Hebrew, it is not worth the trouble.
>
> It works under xfce4-terminal. Right now I am experimenting with
> different fonts for mlterm, but can't seem to get it right.

If only locales didn't slow down all my boxes except for my big
Athlon64.  Running a mixed C and UTF-8 home network is a PITA because
when you ssh in you have to remember to start with LANG=C anyway.

So your ??s look like ??s to me.

Its not that bad since one ?? would mean the same as another ?? to me
anyway.

What gets me is when a man page is written in english and "'" gets
translated as "?", as in can?t or "'" is a square white blob (on a
regular VT).  Why couldn't whoever wrote it in english have used the
standard english "'" glyph instead of a UTF thingy?

Doug.