Re: Cannot partition a hard drive with the Etch installer

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 03:40:01PM +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
> On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 05:52:11PM -0400, Ken Heard wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Can I suggest 2 things
> 1 make a bigger boot partition (i typically make it 500M - the cost of
> drives make this easy, plus it gives you room to move)

But /boot only holds the kernels, initrds, and /boot/grub.  How many
kernels do you keep around?  My /boot is 64 MB and my / is 300 MB.  The
kernel's modules go in /lib which is in the rootfs.

> 2 make another primary partition for root, I typically make it 10G, but
> you can make it a lot smaller. Easier for recovery when your root is on
> a primary partition and plain ext3.

Unless you're using LVM or something, you don't really need a separate
/boot partition unless you have /boot, then / with everything else in
it.  I happen to use LVM over raid1 so I have a separate /boot.

If you don't need a separate /boot, then / with /boot (with the other
usual suspects off in their own partitions) will certainly fit (and is
better if it does on some systems) in the first 512 MB.

Doug.