Re: Clearing SWAP

Paul Cartwright wrote:
On Sat May 3 2008, Marc Shapiro wrote:
I have three X sessions running on my box. All started with startx. Each user has an alias for startx that uses a specified VT. It makes no
difference what order the sessions are started in, ech person gets a
session on the same VT each time startx is invoked.  That way I there is
no confusion and my wife, daughter and I always know which terminal our
session is on.  We also all have different backgrounds so that we can
see at a glance whose session is currently up.

would you care to share how you do that???
I want something very similar:)
I like to log in first after a reboot, so I can always CTRL-ALT-F7 to get back to me. I log my wife in 2ndm so she can always CTRL-ALT-F8 to get back to HER.. but I run xfce, and she runs KDE.. What I had to do to get that started is to log in to ME using KDE, log her in using KDE, go back to me, log out, then log in using XFCE, because xfce doesn't HAVE a switch user menu ! Someone on the xfce list said I could use gdm instead of kde and then xfce would have a menu for switching, but I'm not sure how that would work either...
thanks,

Sure.  This is my alias for startx:

   alias startx='startx -- :0 vt07'

My wife and daughter use:

   alias startx='startx -- :1 vt08'
   and
   alias startx='startx -- :2 vt09'

The sessions usually get started in that order, but it makes no difference if they are started in other orders. My session is always on VT-07, my wife gets VT-08 and my daughter gets VT-09. That way, I have an fvwm2 button bar at the bottom of the screen for each of us and I can have a button to go to either of the other sessions that always gets you to the correct session.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com