Re: difference between kernel logs and /sys/class/net [SOLVED]

Replying to my own post just to say I fixed it for the benefit of anyone
else that may run into this issue.

Thanks to those that replied.

The problem was that the initrd contained the persistent-net-rules from
the host system.
Trouble only occured when the the disk generation and the boot were done
on the same machine (after swapping disks).

In this case the udev in the initrd was renaming the initially detected
eth0 to eth1 (since its mac address matched)

The solution was to add a script to /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks to
delete the persistent-net-rules file during initrd generation (similar
to the existing udev one) in the chroot used to generate the disk.

Martin