difference between kernel logs and /sys/class/net

Hi all,

I have a machine running debian etch (2.6.18) with an onboard (8159)
ethernet interface and a firewire port.
By default both the kernel (as witnessed by dmesg) and /sys/class/net see
eth0 = firewire
eth1 = ethernet

If I blacklist the ieee1394, uhci1394 and eth1394 modules (or
disactivate the 1394 port in the bios) the kernel dmesg logs now show
eth0=ethernet as expected BUT /sys/class/net shows only eth1 (which is
the ethernet)

This is causing udev to assign the ethernet to eth1, even if I delete
the z25-persistent-net.rules file. This is logical since looking at
the udev scripts they scan /sys/class/net and use the devices assigned
there unless that conflicts with the current config.

I could get ethernet assigned to eth0 by editing (rather than
deleting) the persisten-net.rules file but I'm trying to create a disk
image whichj can be installed on multiple machines (and could thus
include appropriate module blacklists but not autogenerated udev rules
which depend on the final target network card MAC addreses)

In case it matters I'm not using debian installer but debootstrap +
grub to generate the disk.

any ideas appreciated,

Martin