Re: How about LVM?

Mark Maas wrote the following on 04/26/2008 10:35 AM:
On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 08:43 -0500, Dennis G. Wicks wrote:

Makes sense. How many are there? Is it worth putting your backup process
as a drbd set? (Network Raid) so you can install some HA for your
backup?

That way you could install two identical servers, one master the other
slave. drbd would keep everything synched, you have *less* chance of
losing your disk based backups.

May I also ask what it is your backing up? I could be of more help when
we know more of what you are trying to backup.

I don't know that I want to go to the effort of a full drbd setup right now, but I think the raid under LVM sounds like a good idea.

I have one big Debian machine (general purpose desktop) and three smaller ones ( (1) firewall, (2) web development & local web server, and (3) the backup system ) then there is a large Win2k desktop and four windows notebooks that get unplugged and taken on a trip every so often.

The big Win2k system is going to become a Debian system pretty quick with a few VirtualBox Windows machines for the things that must be done on Windows.

Right now my backup system runs rsynch and puts the backups on two 250GB drives. Changing things around so it all fits somewhere is developing into more of a chore than I want or need! Since I have to ad some more disks anyway I am thinking that now might be a good time to make some changes.

Again, any suggestions or guidance much appreciated!

Thanks!
Dennis