Re: How about LVM?

On Sat April 26 2008 06:43:09 Dennis G. Wicks wrote:
> What do you think of LVM? Is it stable and reliable
> enough to use for a backup repository?

Yes.  We've been using LVM for years with 9x200GB drives.

> I have several 250GB drives I am thinking of using for
> backup but administering the assignment of data to
> drives would be a headache. I am thinking that LVM
> might solve that by letting me make one big dataspace.

A slight variant - our drives are organized in three
volume groups.  We use three cycles for our backups.
By creating logical volumes in each of the three
volume groups we ensure that a single or double drive
failure doesn't wipe out all three backups of any
system.

--Mike Bird