Re: JFS / Unsupported file systems

On Apr 28, 2008, at 7:22 PM, Alex Samad wrote:

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 07:17:56PM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:16:12PM -0500, Hose wrote:
On Apr 15, 2008, at 8:49 PM, Chris Walters wrote:

I have to agree - I've been using a combo of reiser and jfs for the
past 5 years as different parts of production systems, and I find both
to be fairly reliable, and much less annoying to use than ext{2,3}.
Unfortunately I'm not sure where to go from here on out for the
future, as JFS *does* seem to be on a dead-end path, and reiser4 isnt even close to being standard (then again, even finding a JFS supported live cd can sometimes be a hassle). I have a severe dislike for ext,
though I haven't looked much at 4.  Anyone have suggestions?  ZFS
looks interesting, but I've heard mixed things of it in practice.

FreeBSD has had ffs2 for a while and OpenBSD is just bringing it into
the main there (I guess they figure its secure enough now) which solves
their fs>1TB limitation.  Can Linux rw ffs2?

some reason that xfs is not being talked about?

You know I'm not sure. I vaguely recall xfs being really bad with unclean unmounts (moreso than most other filesystems) and it's performance has not kept up with the newer stuff, but I probably should look into again (unless someone says NO IS HORRIBLE!!!!!).

I actually use it personally on a few external drives, but nothing extensive.

hose