Re: JFS / Unsupported file systems

On Apr 15, 2008, at 8:49 PM, Chris Walters wrote:

Alex Samad wrote:
| Hi
|
| I remember reading in the list that JFS was a dying FS, because IBM
| wasn't maintaining it full time. And that it might disappear from the
| kernel soon.
|
| Any one still using it. I was actually thinking of using it for my /tmp
| directory
|
| Alex

Hi Alex,

I use JFS, and have been quite satisfied with its performance, and reliability. ~ On the subject of dead file systems, if they're going to remove JFS from the kernel because IBM is no longer supporting it, then they'd better also remove the reiserfs, as well. It is also totally unmaintained. [Google 'reiserfs' or 'hans reiser' - without the quotes, and you'll see why it is unlikely that it
will be supported again - his site is down, as well].

Anyhow, JFS hasn't given me any problems, and at one time I used it for
everything except for my /boot partition.

Regards,
Chris

I have to agree - I've been using a combo of reiser and jfs for the past 5 years as different parts of production systems, and I find both to be fairly reliable, and much less annoying to use than ext{2,3}. Unfortunately I'm not sure where to go from here on out for the future, as JFS *does* seem to be on a dead-end path, and reiser4 isnt even close to being standard (then again, even finding a JFS supported live cd can sometimes be a hassle). I have a severe dislike for ext, though I haven't looked much at 4. Anyone have suggestions? ZFS looks interesting, but I've heard mixed things of it in practice.

hose