Re: crashes... Perhaps a clone problem?

Daniel Dalton wrote:
> I installed debian to my new computer and cloned from my old box to my
> new box...

I'm not clear on what you mean by cloned, but assume you mean that you
just copied your home directory.

> So my plan: unclone (is that a word) anyway, get all the packages
> installed from the old box off the new one and if it removed anything
> install it back.

Again, this is unclear - if you did more than just copy your home dir,
like rsync'ing the entire filesystem, then I would, personally, just
start a fresh install.

> So I basically want it back to how it was just after the install: a
> working desktop and command line with the standard apps off the cd.
> So how can I do this?

If my assumption on copying your home dir is all you did, then as root,
just move your home directory out of the way, create a fresh one, log
completely out and log back in - you will have to consider whatever
proper $USER and $GROUP to use.

# mv /home/$USER /home/$USER-backup
# cp -a /etc/skel /home/$USER
# chown -R $USER:$GROUP /home/$USER

If your definition of "clone" is something else, please, be more specific.

--
Kind Regards,
Michael Shuler