how good is debian's hold syntax?

I think I figured out what I'm going to need to do to use emacs on a debian system upgraded beyond sarge. On the sarge level, everything I have tried builds and installs successfully connected to emacs. As soon as I attempt to upgrade beyond sarge the new emacs packages fail to do their install phases correctly. Is debian's hold syntax good enough I can after I remove all emacs stuff from this machine to lock everything emacs-related including add-ons on the sarge level for anything I install in the future? The system over here changed from a Dell to an asus k7 type machine and this last upgrade was done on the asus hardware.