Kernel panic with new kernel

My Etch server boots fine with the default 2.6.18 kernel.  I downloaded the
2.6.25 kernel and did:

make all
make modules_install
make install

depmod 2.6.21.3
mkinitrd.yaird -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.25 2.6.25

Updated grub and rebooted.  I'm getting a kernel panic:

/usr/lib/yaird/exec/run_init: No such file or directory
Attempted to kill init

From what I can find, this is usually related to moving partitions around or
otherwise confusing the system as to where the root system is located.  I
haven't changed anything as to partition layout.  The system boots fine with
the old kernel.  The grub entries are identical except for the number
associated with the kernel.  The root (hd0,1) and the root argument applied
to the kernel are both the same and are correct.  Any hints or suggestions as
to where to go from here appreciated.