Re: [Kind of OT] Why's this look like gibberish to me?

s. keeling wrote:
> Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com>:
>
>>  Why are you against switching to UTF-8? Disk space? There really is
>>  no other disadvantage, and even the diskspace arguement doesn't
>>  count for much unless your drive is mostly uncompressed text files.
>>

> Why would I be _for_ switching?  I'm a unilingual Anglophile.  utf-8
> would gain me nothing.  I'm glad utf-8 (et al) finally exists for
> those of you who who can use it or need it.  However, it's irrelevant
> here.  I only know English, and can puzzle out some words in other
> related western European languages.
>
> I'd guess my $HOME probably is mostly uncompressed text, source and
> documentation.

In this case, it would do no bad. UTF-8 is compatible with ASCII, your
files and acts will need no changes.

Even if you used a language with a few accented characters (French,
Spanish, Polish, etc.), your files would only change with regards to
those characters (which would take 2 instead of one byte - but you could
have French and Polish in the same file, for example). The difference is
minimal, and, for English only, inexistent.

--
The human race never solves any of its problems.  It merely outlives them.
		-- David Gerrold

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
ekalin@gmail.com
http://move.to/hpkb