[Kind of OT] Why's this look like gibberish to me? (was: Re: Grub2)

Sorry for the thread snatch.

I'm (usually*) reading d-u in slrn via the mail to news gateway
linux.debian.user.  I've seen this before and I'm wondering if there's
anything I can do about it, other than going utf-8 myself (I've no
need for it (I think)).

      ----------------------------------
Bipin Babu <bipinbabu@gmail.com>:
>  ------=_Part_7962_22139442.1209161466138
>
>  T24gRnJpLCBBcHIgMjUsIDIwMDggYXQgMTo1OCBQTSwgR2lsbGVzIE1vY2VsbGluIDxnaWxsZXMu
>  bW9jZWxsaW5AZnJlZS5mcj4Kd3JvdGU6Cgo+IExlIEZyaWRheSAyNSBBcHJpbCAyMDA4IDE1OjUw
      ----------------------------------

Nothing in this mail is readable here, other than its headers and
those Content-* lines.

Is this just another reason for me to ignore posts from gmail, or is
there anything I can do about it?  I'm installing metamail now, but
that's just a shot in the dark.

Etch, slrn 0.9.8.1pl1.  .slrnrc:

   set charset isolatin
   compatible_charsets us-ascii,iso-8859-1,iso-8859-15,utf-8

~/.profile:

   export LANG="en_US.ISO-8859-15"
   export LC_COLLATE=C

(0) phreaque /home/keeling_ locale
LANG=en_US.ISO-8859-15
LC_CTYPE="en_US.ISO-8859-15"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.ISO-8859-15"
LC_TIME="en_US.ISO-8859-15"
LC_COLLATE=C
LC_MONETARY="en_US.ISO-8859-15"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.ISO-8859-15"
LC_PAPER="en_US.ISO-8859-15"
LC_NAME="en_US.ISO-8859-15"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.ISO-8859-15"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.ISO-8859-15"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.ISO-8859-15"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.ISO-8859-15"
LC_ALL=

I have generated utf-8 locales on this thing, but I don't use them (I
can't read/write/understand anything but English).  slrn does well
with many foreign chars, but every once in a while it hits complete a
brick wall on some posts, and I haven't been able to nail it down yet.

Thanks.

* the gateway's currently reporting it's down for maintenance.
(*)                                         Please don't Cc: me.
- -