Re: First time ssh user needs help, getting authentication failures

Rafael Fontenelle wrote:
2008/4/25, Nathaniel Homier <nathaniel.homier@bresnan.net <mailto:nathaniel.homier@bresnan.net>>:

    So I aptitude ssh and set it up according to this document:
    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch-sec-services.en.html#s5.1

    I get authentication failures.  I am using Etch completely updated
    on my home computer and was using the Ubuntu 8.04 live CD at my
    mothers house.  coming home and checking auth.log it said "Invalid
    user ubuntu".  On the live cd at my mothers house I used $ssh
    username@sub-domain.domain.org
    <mailto:username@sub-domain.domain.org>, where username is my
    username on my home computer.  I am looking to set up ssh to require
    a username and password on my home computer but I am open to new
    ideas if they are secure.  I'll put my sshd_config and ssh_config on
    my home computer below.  Any recomendations on how to set up the
    files on a live cd, soon to be a debian live cd.

Hi Nathaniel.

Normally, when sshd returns Invalid user it means that this user doesn't exist. Wasn't this "invalid user ubuntu" an attempt you made with wrong username? And did you try just running 'ssh [computer host and domain]' and then insert the user when asked?

Try some stuffs and send us the ssh client output when failed connecting.

Cheers,

Rafael

Well I was trying to setup key based authentication and I figured it out I think. The rsa.pub key has to go into authorized_keys, and then I was using a live cd and failed to generate the key and at any rate I had no way to copy the key with password auth turned off. I also should mention that I got rsa to work for the localhost. It looks to be a real drag for non local servers and I think I may just use password auth instead as that way I don't have to bother with key transport, otherwise I think I would have to setup password auth anyway to allow me to copy the key to the other server. With password auth all I need it the IP or domain and I can just call ahead to get those for Allowuser parameter. Another thing I did was to setup and install denyhosts package. Denyhosts is really great for sshd setup with password auth.