Re: /dev/null > /dev/sdb1 !

Mark Allums wrote:
Bob McGowan wrote:

 > In any case, see below...
 >
 >> Low-level used to need to be done for some reasons, such as to adjust

---DELETED stuff---

Well, as I said, I do not have first-hand experience with it. I have read many times that low-level formatting is done by special equipment at the factory. I suppose I should do some Googling, and read some more on the subject, to be properly informed.

Thanks for reminding me about the Maxtor disk checker utility.

The same goes for me, regarding first hand experience with the internals of a disk drive, etc.

I, too, shall have to do some research.

By the "definition", if you will, used in the Readme.txt, that the utility writes zeros to the disk, and given that the appropriate dd command can be said to do the same, I'm left wondering as well about just exactly what this tool is doing.

--
Bob McGowan