Re: What is the apt cache good for?

Hendrik Boom wrote:
I can get some space back by doing apt-get autoclean.

I can get more back by apt-get clean.

This deletes lots and lots of files from my system. Judging from du's output, /var/cache/apt/ takes a bit more than a third of my disk space.

Now I've been keeping these files around, just in case.

But do I actually need any of these files? Or are they only needed while I'm actually busy installing stuff? After those packages have been installed, are the corresponding files in the cache good for anything at all? Perhaps for deleting the packages later?

(By the way, I use aptitude)

-- hendrik

It is good for re-installing the package with out having to download it again. Also good for sneaker net to another box. Apt keeps it around in the even of issues stopping the install/upgrade. You can make repairs and resume (apt-get -f install or dpkg --force-overwrite foo for example).

HTH

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com