Re: What is the apt cache good for?

On 24-Apr-08, at 11:04 PM, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> wrote:

I can get some space back by doing apt-get autoclean.

I can get more back by apt-get clean.

This deletes lots and lots of files from my system.  Judging from du's
output, /var/cache/apt/ takes a bit more than a third of my disk space.

Now I've been keeping these files around, just in case.

But do I actually need any of these files?

If you are sure you will not be installing the same package again on this or another system, you can probably remove those files. Doesn't look like they are of any use to you.