Re: Installing testing on a premade volume

On Saturday 19 April 2008 21:18:14 John Anthony Kazos Jr. wrote:
> Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 12:11:30PM -0400, John Anthony Kazos Jr. wrote:
> >> I've installed Debian many times, but this time I'm having an issue.
> >> I've got Windows XP on /dev/hda1, and I have a pre-existing ext3 volume
> >> with data I need on /dev/hdd. But I can't figure out a way to get the
> >> installer
> >
> > What do you mean by that? hdd would designate a different *drive*. How
> > is it partitioned?
> >
> >> to use /dev/hdd as the installation volume. What's the best way to do
> >> this?
> >
> > I use manual partioning where I can choose exactly which partition to
> > use and how (as /, /var, /home, etc.).
> >
> > Regards,
> > Andrei
>
> I see no need to partition a drive if I'm going to have only one
> partition on it, so I just use the entire drive as a volume. It's really
> quite normal. Just "mke2fs -j /dev/hdd" and it's ready to go. Gives you
> a few more sectors of space and slightly less overhead.
>
> Can't do that with Windows, of course, because it's too stupid to
> understand it. Linux has no problem with it, and I've been doing it for
> years, but I just don't happen to know how to communicate that to the
> installer. Once I get over the little hump of telling the thing to use a
> premade volume as the root mount point instead of having to do it
> through its partitioner, it'll be smooth sailing.

Well,IMHO you are out of the possibilies of the installer. Linux need a clean
partition to install. If you want to keep  data	, first use gparted-live,
create a small partion to save you data ( I would save it somewhere else
before!!!) at install time, choose manual, mount your saved partition, here
you are.
Thierry