Re: Installing testing on a premade volume

Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 12:11:30PM -0400, John Anthony Kazos Jr. wrote:
I've installed Debian many times, but this time I'm having an issue. I've got Windows XP on /dev/hda1, and I have a pre-existing ext3 volume with data I need on /dev/hdd. But I can't figure out a way to get the installer

What do you mean by that? hdd would designate a different *drive*. How is it partitioned?

to use /dev/hdd as the installation volume. What's the best way to do this?

I use manual partioning where I can choose exactly which partition to use and how (as /, /var, /home, etc.).

Regards,
Andrei
I see no need to partition a drive if I'm going to have only one partition on it, so I just use the entire drive as a volume. It's really quite normal. Just "mke2fs -j /dev/hdd" and it's ready to go. Gives you a few more sectors of space and slightly less overhead.

Can't do that with Windows, of course, because it's too stupid to understand it. Linux has no problem with it, and I've been doing it for years, but I just don't happen to know how to communicate that to the installer. Once I get over the little hump of telling the thing to use a premade volume as the root mount point instead of having to do it through its partitioner, it'll be smooth sailing.