Re: iceweasel and libflashplayer

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 07:04:33 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 11:12:33AM +0200, Richard Lyons wrote:
>
> > On an etch box, I recently hit a website that insisted I should upgrade
> > to flashplayer 9.  No sweat, I did.  Now I notice BBC and other sites
> > keep telling me I need to upgrade flashplayer.  about:plugins says I
> > have flashplayer 7 and flashplayer 9.  In that order.  I suppose this to
> > be the problem, though I know no way to remove flashplayer 7 from
> > firefox, sorry, iceweasel.  locate shows only one libflashplayer.so on
> > my system, that in /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins/ (I am ignoring the copy
> > in my download directory, which must be irrelevant).  I have grepped
> > around in iceweasel trying to find a config file with the defunct
> > pointer to no avail.

> fire up iseweasel and in the URL field type:
> about:config

> then in the filter type flashplayer..

How strange.  It shows nothing at all.

Should it show the flashplayer installed (by the Adobe install script)?
Why does about:plugins show it, and why does it show the previous
version too?  It looks as though there are search functions to find the
installed plugins:  how does the list of installed plugins get
generated?  Why do these big applications hide so much of their working?

richard