Re: keeping track of network throughput (volume, or bandwidth(?) )

NN_il_Confusionario wrote:
On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 12:43:30PM -0400, H.S. wrote:
Which tool is best installed on a little machine running as a router to keep track of the network throughput? I am primarily interested in keeping track of the network usage on a monthly basis so that I know how much I have used from my ISP.

bandwidthd

I installed bandwidthd. The router machine I mentioned earlier is an old Pentium III and I am worried about the disk space the graphs will take up as time goes by. Any idea how this works out?

Also, as I see it at present, the only way to access the data is to load index.html from /var/lib/bandwidthd/htdocs/. Is there any other method to see the throughput, especially from another lan computer?

Finally, any web resource which explains one's way around this application?

thanks,
->HS

ipfm plus a perl script (which is somewhere on the net) to translate
ipfm data (and some data directly found in /proc/) into mrtg graphs

and also others which apt-cache serch can find