Re: SSH connections stall expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REPLY

On 16/04/2008, martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:
> > > I don't understand what's happening, but maybe some packet has
>  > > been filtered from the dump.  Do you have a firewall? Does it
>  > > reject any packet?
>  >
>  > Well, a packet filter runs on 213.203.238.82, but it allows SSH
>  > traffic and RELATED,ESTABLISHED.

I asked this question because not long ago I had a problem with TCP
connections hanging and I was sure that all packets should pass the
firewall because of rules like those you mentioned.  But when I added
a logging rule, I discovered that packets were actually rejected. (The
cause was a lousy router that mangled packets in way violating an RFC,
and in the end I had to disable the SACK option).

So I thought that maybe your "crap wifi network" had also a crap
router mangling packets in some way or another.  But this is unlikely,
if you don't have a firewall on your local machine, and you say you
experience problems with any other machine:

> FWIW, I get pretty much exactly the same behaviour, whether I try my
>  machines, university ones, .debian.org ones, or any other SSH server
>  out there, basically.

No other clues, sorry.  :-(

Bernardo