keeping track of network throughput (volume, or bandwidth(?) )

Hello,

Which tool is best installed on a little machine running as a router to keep track of the network throughput? I am primarily interested in keeping track of the network usage on a monthly basis so that I know how much I have used from my ISP.

Currently I have ntop installed. However, I am not sure how to see how much traffic has passed ppp0 from a particular date and time, for example between 1 of March 2008 and 1 of April 2008.

Suggestions?

The said machine is running Debian Lenny. I use it to connect to an ADSL modem via a ppp0 interface (ADSL modem connects to eth0 of this router computer) all my home computers connect to that machine via a switch connected to eth1 of the router machine.

thanks,
->HS